Empanadas!

Empanadas!

Monday, September 21, 2009

End of Summer sweet empanadas

This weekend it really hit me, the summer has come and gone. It has started to cool down in DC, and the leaves are on the brink of changing colors.  School is in full gear, although my mind isn't quite there yet! Seeing as though the summer is wrapping up, I thought I would make an empanada that paid tribute to the wonderful summer fruits.  So, I made my way over to Whole Foods, as usual, and the first thing I noticed were some nectarines on sale.  The nectarines were not as ripe as I would have liked, but I picked up a few anyway.  Then, as I made my way into the store I saw some wonderful, plump blackberries.  They reminded me of some of the delicious blackberries I had eaten while in North Carolina this summer.  They may have been the best blackberries I ever tasted.  Even though I knew these would not be as scrumptious as the blackberries I ate in NC, I picked up a box to mix in with the nectarines.

A s I made my way through the aisles, all I could think about was this delicious blackberry peach crumble I made this summer while staying with my good friends Rachel and Scott in Atlanta.  This led me to the bulk oats and grains aisle, where I picked up some regular rolled outs.  I thought it would be a fun idea to sprinkle them on top of the empanadas.


After getting all my ingredients, I made my way home.  Lucky for me, I had stocked up on empanada dough from Giant last week, so I didnt need to venture up to Columbia Heights to get anymore.  When I got home, I started by prepping the nectarines. 

Because the nectarine was not as ripe as I like, and empanadas dont bake as long as crumbles/crisps, I decided to cook the nectarine a bit.  I melted a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter in my trusty Calphalon pan.  I tossed the 2 nectarines I diced up with some lemon zest, lemon juice and brown sugar.  Once the butter was melted, I added the nectarine to the pan.

I cooked the nectarine for about five minutes until it was nice and soft.  It smelled amazing, and tasted even better!  Sweet tart and delicious.  As the nectarines were cooling, I took out the big ripe blackberries and gave them a rough chop. When the nectarines were cooled down, I added them to the blackberries.  I sprinkled in just the right amount of cinnamon and nutmeg, a touch of vanilla extract and just a touch more of brown sugar.

 
I then got to assembling the empanadas.  It is starting to be like second nature.  I can now pump out 20 empanadas like it aint no thang!  I guess Im on my way to a mini empanada catering business.... I made them just like the ones last week, cutting the big circles in half and making little triangle empanadas.  I have discovered that it works much better to seal the empanadas up with an egg wash rather than just dabbling water around the edge of the dough before closing them up.

Once I assembled 20 miniature empanadas, I gave them the usual egg wash on top.  I then sprinkled a mixture of rolled oats, unsalted butter and brown sugar, on the tops of the empanaditas.   Before putting them in the oven, I took a knife and slit a tiny hole in the top of every empanada in order to let the steam come out while they were baking. I put them in the oven at 375.

After my weekly set of empanadas were all assembled and baking, I realized I had a little of the filling left.  I also had a small little baggie of rolled oats left from Whole Foods.  I thought for a second, and then I realized I should use the leftovers to make a miniature little crumble.  I pulled out one of my adorable little Le Crueset creme brulee dishes and assembled my tiny little crisp.  I just poured in the fillings, then sprinkled the top with oats, brown sugar and butter.  When that was ready I just popped it in the oven with the empanadas.

I patiently waited for about 25 minutes while this wonderful pie smell started wafting throughout my apartment.  The empanadas were ready.  They smelled like heaven.  They turned out well, but the dough looked a little weird.  As I mentioned in a previous posting, the dough I have been using is made to be fried up.  I have not had a problem with the last two batches, but maybe this was just God's way of telling me I should make a fried empanada next week!




I may have to skip next weeks empanada escapade, as I am off to New Orleans on Wednesday and then NYC for the weekend.    I am sorry to all of my loyal readers, but you will have to wait another week and a half or so until you get to read another wonderful tale of my empanada adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment