Empanadas!

Empanadas!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Empanadas are just mini pies, aren't they?

Today I decided to put my leftover pumpkin filling to good use.  I wasnt sure what I was going to do with all of my leftovers, but while I was at Whole Foods today they had graham cracker pie crusts on sale and I thought, wow, I can make a pumpkin pie!  As I mentioned in my last post, it is really starting to feel like fall here in Washington, so what better way to spend my day than making a fresh pumpkin pie.  So, I purchased my pie crust, along with some cinnamon scented pine cones, and made my way home.

When I got home, I preheated the oven to 375, and googled pumpkin pie recipes.  I have never made a pumpkin pie, so I just wanted some references to what goes into a traditional pie besides the spicy pumpkin puré.  I figured out that I should add a few eggs and some cream to my filling.  Well, knowing me I didnt just want to do the traditional thang, and I had some leftover chopped pecans in my cupboard, so I decided to work those in some how.  I decided to coat the bottom of my graham cracker crust with the chopped pecans.  After layering pecans on the bottom of the crust, I beat 3 eggs in a large bowl.  The I added in my leftover pumpkin filling (about 2 cups).  Lastly I poured in about 1/2 a cup of cream.  I blended it all together, and it was time to pour it into the crust.  I had made the perfect amount for one pie!  I decided to take things one step further and sprinkle some more pecans on top of the pie to add a little texture.  Now I am waiting for the pie while it bakes for about 45 minutes.  When it is done I promise to report back, and post some pics. 

Hope everyone is enjoying fall as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment